The Governor honours ARA’s long-serving volunteers
On November 11, approximately 90 of ARA’s members, long term volunteers and donors were welcomed by His Excellency the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC to a reception at Government House to thank them for their commitment to and support of ARA. As one of ARA’s earliest clients and now our Patron, His Excellency spoke passionately about the invaluable support ARA has provided to some of South Australia’s most vulnerable new arrivals over nearly 45 years, and his early memories of being welcomed by ARA (then known as the Indo-China Refugee Association) volunteers in 1976.
In his welcome speech Mr Van Le emphasised how vital the support of volunteers, donors and members are to the ongoing important work of ARA, noting that ARA would not exist without this support. He also drew attention to some of the highlights of the past year including the appointment of new CEO, Deb Stringer, the outstanding success of the Salisbury Health Expo in April, the Building Stronger, Safer Communities Community Educators Program and the opening of ARA’s first office presence in the southern suburbs, in collaboration with Marion Life.
His Excellency presented certificates of thanks on behalf of ARA for the outstanding service of five longstanding volunteers:
• Mr Bill Jenner, for 12 years service with ARA’s Social Support Program (retired 2019)
• Mrs Gay Stock, for 13 years service with ARA’s Homework Club programs
• Mrs Maureen Arnott, for 17 years service with ARA’s Social Support Program
• Mr Wayne Turner, for 20 years service to ARA as Treasurer and Board Member (retired 2019)
• Margaret Oates, for over 20 years service to ARA as a volunteer and a Board Member (1997-2002 and 2011-2019) (retired 2019)
ARA is extremely grateful to Mr Van Le and his wife, Lan, for their ongoing support.